Current:Home > NewsNew report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response -WealthSpot
New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:44:32
A report from Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez focused on the actions of the Maui County mayor in the response to the devastating wildfire last summer that killed more than 100 people and razed the historic town of Lahaina.
The nearly 400-page investigative report released Wednesday raises new and troubling questions about Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen and his response to the blazes.
"This is about never letting this happen again," Lopez said in a news conference, emphasizing the report is not meant to point fingers.
As hurricane-force winds raged on Aug. 8, 2023, igniting fires, several schools closed and the state was preparing an emergency proclamation.
But at multiple times during the day, Bissen said declaring an emergency was "not necessary." At 3:15 p.m., as the fire grew in intensity, state officials tried to reach him, asking if he was in the emergency operations center. They were told "no."
Instead, with reports trickling in on social media, Bissen finally signed the emergency order at 8 p.m. that night, hours after Lahaina burned down.
Last August, CBS News confronted Bissen, who had admitted not calling Maj. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.
"I can't speak to what — or whose responsibility it was to communicate directly," Bissen responded at the time. "…I can't say who was responsible for communicating with General Hara."
Along with killing more than 100 people, the Maui fire destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. The staggering economic loss is estimated at more than $5.5 billion.
"Very little was done to prevent something like this from happening," Sherman Thompson, former chair of the Hawaii Civil Defense Advisory Council, told CBS News Wednesday.
When asked if the government response was negligent, Sherman responded, "I think it crossed the border, it crossed the line."
CBS News has reached out to Bissen's office for comment, but has not heard back. However, Bissen posted a statement to the county website Wednesday evening which read, in part:
"We understand the state Attorney General's investigation and the hard work that Fire Safety Research Institute put into describing the nation's worst wildfire disaster in modern history. Today's Phase One report can help piece together what other fire-stricken jurisdictions have called the most complex megafire they have ever seen."
"I remain committed to bringing Lahaina residents back home so they can take additional steps toward healing," he added.
- In:
- Hawaii Wildfires
- Maui
- Lahaina
- Wildfire
- Hawaii
Jonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (79686)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- This Under-the-Radar, Affordable Fashion Brand Will Make You Look like an Influencer
- This Under-the-Radar, Affordable Fashion Brand Will Make You Look like an Influencer
- Noose used in largest mass execution in US history will be returned to a Dakota tribe in Minnesota
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- What are leaking underground storage tanks and how are they being cleaned up?
- What brought Stewart-Haas Racing to end of the line, 10 years after NASCAR championship?
- Why Teen Mom's Mackenzie McKee Says Fiancé Khesanio Hall Is 100 Percent My Person
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- These US companies are best at cutting their emissions to fight climate change
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Missouri mom went to police station after killing her 2 young children, sheriff says
- Blake Lively Is Guilty as Sin of Having a Blast at Taylor Swift's Madrid Eras Tour Show
- Building explosion kills bank employee and injures 7 others in Youngstown, Ohio
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- The Beatles' 'Love' closes July 6. Why Ringo Starr says 'it’s worth seeing' while you can
- Massachusetts fugitive dubbed the ‘bad breath rapist’ captured in California after 16 years at large
- A nurse honored for compassion is fired after referring in speech to Gaza ‘genocide’
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Why Ben Higgins Says He and Ex Fiancée Lauren Bushnell Were Like Work Associates Before Breakup
Yale University names Maurie McInnis as its 24th president
New Orleans mystery: Human skull padlocked to a dumbbell is pulled out of water by a fisherman
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Bravo's Ladies of London Turns 10: Caroline Stanbury Reveals Which Costars She's Still Close With
Joe Jonas Seemingly References Sophie Turner Breakup on New Song
Disneyland performers’ vote to unionize is certified by federal labor officials